Reporting to the Chief Program Officer, RC, the Director of Publications sets a tone for excellence, brand integrity, accuracy, editorial direction, and policies for RC publishing. This position is responsible for planning and execution of a publishing pipeline and overseeing and project managing all stages of retail product development.
The Director of Publications will collaborate across the organization to provide editorial support for all departments at CRS, ensuring we achieve excellence in editorial, messaging, print, graphic design, illustration, and production of a wide array of print and digital materials and resources.
This position will work closely with the CEO on managing internal and external communications, overseeing the CRS website and providing writing, editorial and publishing support to the entire organization.
This position works closely with their supervisor on all aspects of publishing and copyright.
Major responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Responsible for author acquisition to meet the expectation for maintaining the RC publications pipeline.
- Maintains currency on educational issues and their application to CRS’s programs and direction in order to be able to collaborate on and lead discussions on content development with other directors and publications team.
- Works closely with the Chief Program Officer to evaluate the current booklist, conduct regular market research to identify opportunities for new products and proactively identify product expansion opportunities.
- Plans for retail products and develops and manages budget and timelines.
- Regularly monitors retail sales and performance and works closely with marketing to plan and implement a retail product marketing campaign.
- Provides oversight to the reprint process to ensure that any corrections that are needed can be made at reprint.
- Monitors inventory to ensure that the inventory levels for all products are maintained at the established levels.
- Leads the development of production timelines, works closely with supervisor on contracts, oversees fact-checking and copyrights, planning and attending to production cost and ensuring on-time and on-budget delivery.
- Ensures the publications staff understands and can meet the performance expectations for their roles and responsibilities.
- Provides leadership that ensures that products reflect CRS’ core message and values for quality, practicality, clarity and integrity in an obvious, compelling and relevant manner.
- Ensures that RC’s brand identity is cohesive whether it is programmatic, products or services.
- Makes editorial decisions with reasonable speed and communicates them in a clear and constructive manner.
- Communicates and reinforces clear guidelines for authors regarding acceptable practices for writing and content development and for sharing content particularly during development and before publications.
- Implements procedures for reconsidering editorial decisions.
- Sets high standards and clearly communicates all other editorial policies and standards.
- Hires, trains and retains talented publications staff who are motivated, engaged and competent.
- Leads the development of and monitors the execution of Project Management Planning for all product development from idea to completion.
- Defines, administers, and directs the work of CRS editorial, design, and production staff.
- Oversees videography, photography and content translation into other languages including the selection and oversight of freelancers and ensuring the quality and ongoing development of the video and photo libraries or translated content.
- Ensures that there is a well-designed framework for organizing and deciding upon which publication ideas will move forward.
- Provides oversight for project development and editorial staff workload to ensure projects are completed on time and on budget.
- Oversees process for determining initial print runs, reprint quantities, and inventory controls.
- Responsible for ensuring all files are well-organized for documentation and future use. Effectively manages a record retention policy for files.
COLLABORATES ON SALES AND MARKETING COLLATERAL
- Collaborates with other relevant leaders to develop strategies to set and meet seasonal product sales and marketing content and product needs.
- Collaborates as required to ensure there is an effective product launch and strategy for the on-going sale of new products; collaborates to ensure the marketing plan is aligned to the annual projections for retail products.
- Collaborate with supervisors and others to ensure CRS’ site have an effective website SEO strategy.
SUPPORTS ORGANIZATIONAL PUBLISHING AND EDITORIAL NEEDS
- Supports all departments in achieving their editorial, print, videography, photography, graphic design, illustration and production goals.
- Works closely with other departments to produce content, resources and digital materials needed for workshops, courses, training, curriculum or department needs.
- Works closely with marketing team to produce marketing and communication materials.
- Ability to travel (sometimes extensively) is required.
- Represents CRS at conferences as requested.
- Serves on CRS’s leadership team, playing a key role in setting and executing on organizational strategy.
- Consistently demonstrates the highest level of professionalism and collaboration.
- Consistently exhibits a professional and positive disposition.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Proofreaders/Publications Staff
- Graphic Designer
- Authors, Contributors
- Bachelor’s degree (Master’s preferred) in English, communications, journalism, publications or related field with at least 5 years of progressively responsible and related work experience that clearly demonstrates readiness and competence for this position.
- The ability to operate on both a tactical and a strategic level.
- Able to provide competent supervision to a highly effective editorial and publications team.
- Exceptional project management expertise, particularly the ability to oversee multiple, complex projects simultaneously in a deadline-driven environment.
- Deep publications expertise, including budgeting, printing, editorial and production management, and related technologies. Demonstrated knowledge of publishing landscape, including use of the Internet, pricing, and developing and implementing dissemination plans
- Competency with Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, InCopy and other Creative Suite products.
- Demonstrated strong editing and writing skills, including book development, line editing, copyediting, project management, and production.
- Can communicate with respect and authority for a range of purposes, including but not limited to promoting a healthy organizational culture, providing direct feedback, and sharing decisions
- Management experience with vendors and contractors for writing, illustration, photography, and other related supplies and services.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Google productivity software.
- Able to learn HubSpot, Salesforce, and other CRM software and to get certification in Amazon Ads.
- Highly accountable for performance; goal oriented and flexible.
- Regular and reliable attendance.
- Disposition is consistently professional, cooperative, and collegial as evidenced by workplace maturity, composure, perspective, transparency, reliability, integrity, and trustworthiness.
- Caring for and commitment to the vision, mission, and welfare of CRS.
- Able to use a computer for up to 8 hours per day with breaks and lunch
- Able to talk on the phone for up to 8 hours per day
- Lift up to 30 lbs. on occasion
- Able to travel by airplane and automobile, occasionally
- Must be able to show proof of Covid-19 primary vaccinations or submit a medical or religious exemption